IE9 crashing on Windows7 64


At work I recently upgraded from IE8 to IE9.  It has not been a positive experience. A number of the key web application we use fail to work properly in IE9.  Additionally, I found that IE was now crashing and needing to be restarted at least every half hour.

A colleague pointed me to this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2528233

Microsoft states "Hardware acceleration is a new feature in Internet Explorer 9 that lets Internet Explorer move all graphics and text rendering from the CPU to the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)."

I appreciate the efforts to improve the performance of the world's slowest browser, but my work machine, with no need for movies or games, was obviously under-powered in the graphics department.  Turning off the hardware acceleration (as detailed below) has stopped IE from crashing all the time.  But I am finding myself using Chrome for the web applications (where possible) - so that they will work properly.

It looks like Microsoft's non-standard browser legacy continues.


How to remedy the crashing issue:



1. Select "Internet options" from the Settings (cog) menu on the right hand side.



2. On the "Advanced" tab, check the "Use software rendering..." check box and Apply.

Comments